Friday, October 19, 2012

Picture Perfect . . . Not Really

Ever seen those hair-do photo tutorials on Pinterest?  You know, the ones with the lovely young women modeling all manner of styles and showing how impossibly simple it is to create them yourself?  Well, yesterday I decided to give it a shot.  The "messy" bun/updo seems to be really popular right now, and Lord knows my hair does messy quite well, so I grabbed a ponytail holder and dug around for as many bobby pins as I could find and, I think, successfully managed to produce the look I was going for.  I know I did, because both my girls commented on my hair when I picked them up from school.  So, once again, I earned some Pinterest Points (previously defined by me as "tiny morsels of justification for spending way too much time on that darn website"). 

If I had stopped there, this would be a nice, neat, and mind-numbingly boring story.  Fortunately, I didn't stop there.  I also attempted to take pictures akin to the ones on Pinterest (not to post them there, mind you.  Just because, well, I don't really know why.), and that's when the whole deal went way downhill.  The girls and I laughed so. hard. when we looked at them later on, so I just have to share them with you, along with the fabulous captions we came up with to describe them.

I started with this.  Not too bad, except you can't really see the hairstyle:


Then this.  Fail.


Better angle, but only the back.  And do you see all those fly-away hairs!  Messy, indeed.  I fixed those later.


Maybe I should try to do these in the mirror, a la teenagers everywhere.  I wish you could have been there with me as I tried to figure out how to hold the camera and take the picture so the camera wasn't right in front of me and I was looking in the right place and not feeling like a complete idiot (which I did).  Still doesn't show the hair very well.

 
Closer would be better.  No, I'm not in a steamy shower.  That's just how it looks when you take a picture into the mirror and don't turn off the flash.  Duh.  I look really tan, though.  Bonus.
 


What the heck am I looking at?  And, uh . . . focus?


I like to call this one my "I may or may not have seven bodies buried in my back yard" look.  Creepy.


Less creepy.  But I look like I'm about the say the Pledge of Allegiance.


Okay, so no more pics in the mirror.  Turning the camera back around towards me again.  Aaaaand, forgot to zoom back out.  Nice.


Tilted a little low.  Very Olin Mills-ish.  All that's missing is my hand placed ever-so-delicately under my chin.


You'll never find those bodies (insert quiet evil psycho laugh).


Okay, maybe I'm not a serial killer.  I might, however, be a puppy.


Now I'm just getting silly.


Wow.  I can really make my eyes bug way out.


Okay, just me again . . . but still not much of the hair.


Ah, a better shot of the hair.  But do you notice my psycho eyes again?  Despite the fact that my arm is nearly twisted out of the socket to achieve this shot, I can still see you, and I'm thinking of the perfect spot in my backyard . . .


 So here's the one that comes closest to what I was trying to do.  It did occur to me that someone else is always behind the camera in those Pinterest shots. 


I don't think anyone will be calling me to model hair style tutorials. And I think I might still have one or two bobby pins lodged in my hair somewhere.  But, my goodness, this was all so worth the laugh at the end of the day.  :-)

3 comments:

Michelle C. said...

Holy hairspray, Heather...for making me laugh so hard, I promise I won't call the cops to bring their shovels.

The Deffenbaughs said...

Seriously you always make me laugh but this almost made me peed my pants!

Stacy said...

I loved the captions. This cracked me up. Thanks.