Thursday, August 2, 2012

Byrds in Flight. Really, we're like, getting on a plane.

It is nearly impossible for me to absorb the fact that TODAY is the day we're leaving for China.  In fact, I'm typing this while sitting in the Tampa airport terminal, surrounded by over-stuffed carry-on bags, almost freezing under a very strong air vent (I knew I'd be glad I brought my jacket), with the taste of Starbucks coffee fresh on my lips (tastes even better when you get it for free by giving them an empty coffee bean bag, by the way). 

Ellis is right behind me in the kiddie play area (yes, he's almost twelve) organizing a game of tag or hide'n'seek or something with complete strangerchildren, the parents of whom just might be a little concerned at his complete lack of "I'venevermetyousoI'lljustplayitcool."  And his size.

Gillian just returned from the aforementioned Starbucks with her very own Mocha Cookie Crumble blended creme (a.k.a. milkshake) purchased with her own money.  She had to scarf down the sandwich we brought from home before we'd let her go get it.

Caroline is charging her ipod, upon which we are depending for lots of Facetime with the family back home while we're in China.

Tony is reading an article in Christianity Today.

And Jin . . . well, he's asleep, because it's 4:48 a.m. on Friday where he is, just two days before his world changes forever. 

A voice just came over the loudspeaker asking for one volunteer with "flexible travel plans" who would be willing to give up his/her seat on the overbooked flight to Detroit.  Nice.  Seriously?  Why do they do that? 

We've packed everything we can possibly imagine we'll need, and probably some extra stuff, too, and still all our suitcases were under the weight limit.  Good thing they didn't weigh my carry-on, because I can barely lift the thing.

And now it's time to make sure everyone goes to the bathroom, start gathering our stuff, and make our way to the gate.  Supposed to leave in thirty minutes.  For Detroit.  And then on to China.  TO ADOPT OUR TODDLER SON!!!  WHAAAAATTTTT!

Yeah, I know.  I'm all over the road and I have been this way for the past two days.  It's a wonder we were able to get here without "someone" having a small nervous breakdown.

But today really is the day we've been been anticipating for SO long.  And I. am. stoked.

Here we go!

1 comment:

Kimberly Hettinger said...

I didn't have to go as far as you, but when we got the call that our birthmother was in labor and delivery, we had 3.2 minutes to pack and head to Jacksonville, so I know a little how you are feeling. When you hold him for the first time, you will understand God's plan completely, or at least that is how I felt! I'm overjoyed for you, adoption is the best gift for both Jin and your family!


God speed!!!!!!