Quite a bit has been going on since my last post. The school year sped along toward its end, and that made everything extra busy around here. Adoption milestones were being reached at what seemed like lightning speed, and we were convinced we would be heading across the ocean in early July. We have been raising money like crazy, and I'm thinking of dedicating an entire post just to describe that, because I had a couple pretty cool "a-ha" moments in the space of just a couple weeks related to our fundraising.
But now things have slowed down a bit, for a variety of reasons:
1. School's out. Need I say more? Okay, I will. Throughout the school year I pretty much feel as though life is zipping by at a dangerous pace and I'm just barely hanging on by my fingernails. Well, that feeling intensifies right at the end. That's when a lot of extras are added (some related to my job and some related to my family), like preparing for and attending awards ceremonies, going on the 5th grade field trip with Ellis (which means getting sub plans ready for the day I was absent), entering report cards, shopping with Caroline for a dress for the eighth grade dance, finishing up final paperwork, and packing up my entire classroom in boxes to bring home, because I'm taking a leave of absence next year to stay home with Mr. Cutiepants. I wasn't entirely convinced I would actually make it through those last two weeks with my sanity intact, but I think I did. Although, perhaps you should ask my kids.
2. We hit a snag with the adoption paperwork. This is not a good thing, people. We are so eager to get the heck over there and get Jin Connor Byrd and bring him home! However, although it IS causing a delay, it's not a huge one (we think), so I guess in a way it's not the worst thing in the world. It has given us the opportunity to take a deep breath, knowing we have a few more weeks to prepare our home for Jin and to prepare ourselves for the trip to China. The kids and I spent a week in GA and TN visiting family one last time before we add to ours, and this week our goal is to get the kids' rooms all changed around so we're ready for Jin. I'm looking on the bright side here, folks.
So, I'm grateful for a slower pace, at least for now. Don't get me wrong - there's still plenty going on around here. I'll be blogging about it more regularly. In fact, I need to post pictures of all the aforementioned activities, because I did mangage to take a few. That will be another post, though, because right now I have to go help Ellis clean out his room. Shouldn't be too hard, because he's a fairly neat and organized kid. But when I start on Gillian's room . . . well, just know that there's a mama in Florida who's going to need some prayer. Or maybe a massage. Or both.
No comments:
Post a Comment