Monday, July 6, 2009

Sisters and Cousins

Last week, while Tony was in Honduras on a missions trip, my sister Vanessa and her four kids came to visit. Seven kids + two adults = new appreciation for my grandparents. The Conns had twelve children. Twelve. That's five more than the seven we had last week, for those of you who are counting, and I thought of this several times while my family was here. We had a wonderful time together, and I'm so thankful they were able to be here with us. Below are the highlights:
On Sunday we all piled up in two cars and headed to Zephyrhills to watch Caroline play with the Land O' Lakes Minor A Fastpitch Softball All-Star team in the district tournament. Here she is at her usual third base field position.

And below are four of her adoring fans. L to R: Loren (Caroline's lifetime BFF), cousin Will, Ellis, cousin Graham.














That night we went to the pool and the playground, and both were a huge hit with all the kiddies. Even Aunt Vanessa got in on the fun.










There was a lot of "monkeying around" on that playground, as you can see. Post-swimming hands and feet seem to stick really well to the fat poles that support the canopy over the playground. This was a happy discovery.
Monday was a lazy, pajama day, and the big kids had great fun playing Wii sports and Guitar Hero. Gillian and Ella played little girl stuff, and Lia meandered among all of them, just being cute. We hit the pool briefly that evening, then watched rented movies, one for the kids and another for Vanessa and me. Our big plans for a day at the pool on Tuesday were completely wiped out by pouring rain, thunder and lightning. Ya know, that's why we have things like weather reports, but those are useless if you don't actually read or watch them. So, to combat cabin fever (not sure if it was the kids' cabin fever or mine and Vanessa's), we headed to a nearby indoor family fun place. When sunshine is unavailable for days at a time, money must inevitably be spent for the sake of sanity.

Dance Dance Revolution. For the kids, rather intense, judging by the looks on their faces.




For Vanessa and me, on the other hand, a better word might be "pathetic".






















Here's the whole gang outside, just before we made a mad dash to the cars in the pouring rain. We got soaked, of course.
Back to Casa Byrd for dinner and another evening of movie watching.

The Hammonds headed out the next day. What a great visit we all had! I wish I lived closer to all of my family, but I surely am thankful for the opportunities we have to get together. Tony and I have lived in Florida, far away from either of our families, since we got married. That's been fifteen years. I learned a long time ago that family time won't ever just happen on its own. It requires effort. I supposed it's not unlike family time among those who live much nearer one another, but the amount of effort is far greater, and the actual opportunities are fewer. Dinner at the parents' house is a little easier to get on the schedule than a visit to a branch of the family hundreds of miles away. I so get that. And I appreciate every time any part of our two families come from afar to visit.

3 comments:

J. Stephen Conn said...

Great photos! I love your blog - and I love you too.

Vanessa said...

Fun times! I think I'll borrow your blog post. :) Thanks for the hospitality!

Heather said...

Love you, too, Uncle Stephen. Thanks for reading!

Vanessa, feel free to copy/paste!