Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Notes from the Road

Our drive to Hilton Head from Tampa on Sunday was relatively uneventful. Unless you consider pee stops "events", in which case it was very eventful. There were six of those, and three of them were side-of-the-road stops, just for Ellis. I must say, the fact that it's possible to simply pull over on the side of the interstate for a fully satisfying potty break is very convenient, and I'm thankful it's my son who needs them so often, not my daughters.

Anyway, this kind of thing generates some very entertaining family conversation . . .

(Sound of automatic van door sliding open.)

Mommy: Okay, Ellis. Just hop out right there, and stay close to the van.

Daddy: Be careful, Son . . . lean out a little. You don't want that stuff to get on your pants.

Ellis: (from outside) Okay, Dad!

Gillian: Eeeewwww!

Caroline: That's just gross.

(Ellis "wags" back and forth, evenly coating a three-foot swath of grass.)

Caroline: (rolling her eyes) Look what he's doing!

Daddy: (smiling, thinking "that's my boy") Heh heh . . . Okay, don't get crazy.

(Ellis zips up and climbs back into the van, huge grin on his face.)

Ellis: Did you see me swirl it? That was awesome.

Mommy: Okay, buddy.

Caroline: Uugh. That's just one more reason I'm so glad I'm not a boy.

Daddy: Oh, no, that's one of the good things about being a boy. You can just pee right on the side of the road. Girls can't do that, you know.

Caroline: Well you know what the best thing about being a girl is? You can have a baby.

Ellis: Yeah, but you can die havin' a baby.


Well. Okay then.

3 comments:

JonathanDycus said...

Hilarious! It is conversations like that which make Naomi and I want to have more kids! Heather--keep up the good work because you keep us laughing!

Brian Conn said...

I love this. Ditto all that Jonathan said. Except for the having more kids part. We aren't in the child-having way no more.

Kat said...

I can so see Caroline and Ellis doing that...how funny!!!